The Scientific Director is responsible for the research performed at the Institute.
Promotes and coordinates the activities, manages research budget in accordance with the General Manager, within the guidelines established by the Consiglio di Indirizzo e Verifica, in the respect of the organization and functioning of the Institute.
The Scientific Director is the chair of the Technical Scientific Committee, is member of the Independent Ethical Committee and is Director of the Scientific Library.
The Scientific Director is appointed by the Minister of Health, after consulting the President of the Region, and has a five-year assignment.
The current Scientific Director of Istituto Nazionale Tumori IRCCS “Fondazione G.Pascale” is Professor Gennaro Ciliberto, appointed by decree of January 24, 2012.
|prof. Gennaro Ciliberto
|phone 081 5903757
- Molecular and Cellular Biologist with expertise in the following areas: control of gene transcription, signal transduction by cytokines and growth factors, somatic gene therapy, cancer cell biology and genetics, immunotherapy of cancer.
- More than 25 years of research management experience.
- Full Professor of Molecular Biology at Italian Universities starting year 1990.
- On leave of absence from University from 1991 to 2009, due to employment at the Merck Sharp and Dohme research center IRBM P. Angeletti in Pomezia (Rome), resumed Academic activity at the University of Catanzaro “Magna Graecia” in October 2009.
- Past experience at Merck include responsibilities for several early drug discovery programs (target identification to phase I clinical trials) and membership of several Merck Research Laboratories (MRL) decision-making committees.
- For 3 years (2006-2009) Site Head and Managing Director IRBM P. Angeletti in Pomezia, and manager of approximately 200 staff members.
- From August 2008- to September 2009 World Wide responsibilities at MRL for Basic Research efforts in the Oncology.
- In March 2012 appointed Scientific Director of Istituto Nazionale Tumori IRCCS “Fondazione G. Pascale” , Napoli and again on leave of absence from University
- Member of several national and international scientific societies.
- Since 1989 elected member of the European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO).
- In June 2012 appointed Expert Member of Comitato Nazionale per la Biosicurezza, le Biotecnologie e le Scienze della Vita.
- In January 2013 elected President of Società Italiana di Biofisica e Biologia Molecolare (SIBBM).
- Member of the Steering Committee of the Italian Federation of Life Sciences (FISV) since January 2013.
- Member of the Steering Committee of the Alliance Against Cancer (ACC) and in June 2013 member of the Executive Committee of ACC.
- Co-author of 318 publications in Peer Reviewed international journals (H-index = 61). Total citations (December 17, 2014) = 14.590 (Source: Web of Science).
- Significant experience in Technology Transfer as witnessed by Co-inventorship in > 28 international granted patents.
- Reviewer and editorial board member of several international journals and editor of textbook for graduate students.
Future perspectives in melanoma research: meeting report from the "Melanoma Bridge": Napoli, December 3rd-6th 2014.
Ascierto PA, Atkins M, Bifulco C, Botti G, Cochran A, Davies M, Demaria S, Dummer R, Ferrone S, Formenti S, Gajewski TF, Garbe C, Khleif S, Kiessling R, Lo R, Lorigan P, Arthur GM, Masucci G, Melero I, Mihm M, Palmieri G, Parmiani G, Puzanov I, Romero P, Schilling B, Seliger B, Stroncek D, Taube J, Tomei S, Zarour HM, Testori A, Wang E, Galon J, Ciliberto G, Mozzillo N, Marincola FM, Thurin M. J Transl Med. 2015 Nov 30;13(1):374.
Alliance Against Cancer, the network of Italian cancer centers bridging research and care.
De Paoli P, Ciliberto G, Ferrarini M, Pelicci P, Dellabona P, De Lorenzo F, Mantovani A, Musto P, Opocher G, Picci P, Ricciardi W, De Maria R. J Transl Med. 2015 Nov 14;13(1):360.
Role of Sex Hormones in the Development and Progression of Hepatitis B Virus-Associated Hepatocellular Carcinoma.
Montella M, D'Arena G, Crispo A, Capunzo M, Nocerino F, Grimaldi M, Barbieri A, D'Ursi AM, Tecce MF, Amore A, Galdiero M, Ciliberto G, Giudice A. Int J Endocrinol. 2015;2015:854530.
Anti-Inflammatory Effects of a Methanol Extract from the Marine Sponge Geodia cydonium on the Human Breast Cancer MCF-7 Cell Line.
Costantini S, Romano G, Rusolo F, Capone F, Guerriero E, Colonna G, Ianora A, Ciliberto G, Costantini M. Mediators Inflamm. 2015;2015:204975.
The Akt1/IL-6/STAT3 pathway regulates growth of lung tumor initiating cells.
Malanga D, De Marco C, Guerriero I, Colelli F, Rinaldo N, Scrima M, Mirante T, De Vitis C, Zoppoli P, Ceccarelli M, Riccardi M, Ravo M, Weisz A, Federico A, Franco R, Rocco G, Mancini R, Rizzuto A, Gulletta E, Ciliberto G, Viglietto G. Oncotarget. 2015 Oct 13.
Metabolic syndrome and the risk of urothelial carcinoma of the bladder: a case-control study.
Montella M, Di Maso M, Crispo A, Grimaldi M, Bosetti C, Turati F, Giudice A, Libra M, Serraino D, La Vecchia C, Tambaro R, Cavalcanti E, Ciliberto G, Polesel J. BMC Cancer. 2015 Oct 16;15:720.
Vorinostat synergizes with EGFR inhibitors in NSCLC cells by increasing ROS via up-regulation of the major mitochondrial porin VDAC1 and modulation of the c-Myc-NRF2-KEAP1 pathway.
Leone A, Roca MS, Ciardiello C, Terranova-Barberio M, Vitagliano C, Ciliberto G, Mancini R, Di Gennaro E, Bruzzese F, Budillon A. Free Radic Biol Med. 2015 Sep 26;89:287-299.
Triple negative breast cancer: looking for the missing link between biology and treatments.
Palma G, Frasci G, Chirico A, Esposito E, Siani C, Saturnino C, Arra C, Ciliberto G, Giordano A, D'Aiuto M. Oncotarget. 2015 Sep 29;6(29):26560-74.
Combination of antibodies directed against different ErbB3 surface epitopes prevents the establishment of resistance to BRAF/MEK inhibitors in melanoma.
Fattore L, Malpicci D, Marra E, Belleudi F, Noto A, De Vitis C, Pisanu ME, Coluccia P, Camerlingo R, Roscilli G, Ribas A, Di Napoli A, Torrisi MR, Aurisicchio L, Ascierto PA, Mancini R, Ciliberto G. Oncotarget. 2015 Sep 22;6(28):24823-41.
Assessing a novel immuno-oncology-based combination therapy: Ipilimumab plus electrochemotherapy.
Mozzillo N, Simeone E, Benedetto L, Curvietto M, Giannarelli D, Gentilcore G, Camerlingo R, Capone M, Madonna G, Festino L, Caracò C, Di Monta G, Marone U, Di Marzo M, Grimaldi AM, Mori S, Ciliberto G, Ascierto PA. Oncoimmunology. 2015 May 22;4(6):e1008842. eCollection 2015 Jun.
Novel metronomic chemotherapy and cancer vaccine combinatorial strategy for hepatocellular carcinoma in a mouse model.
Tagliamonte M, Petrizzo A, Napolitano M, Luciano A, Arra C, Maiolino P, Izzo F, Tornesello ML, Aurisicchio L, Ciliberto G, Buonaguro FM, Buonaguro L. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2015 Oct;64(10):1305-14
Superior Immunologic and Therapeutic Efficacy of a Xenogeneic Genetic Cancer Vaccine Targeting Carcinoembryonic Human Antigen.
Aurisicchio L, Roscilli G, Marra E, Luberto L, Mancini R, La Monica N, Ciliberto G. Hum Gene Ther. 2015 Jun;26(6):386-98.
Standardized Index of Shape (SIS): a quantitative DCE-MRI parameter to discriminate responders by non-responders after neoadjuvant therapy in LARC.
Petrillo A, Fusco R, Petrillo M, Granata V, Sansone M, Avallone A, Delrio P, Pecori B, Tatangelo F, Ciliberto G. Eur Radiol. 2015 Jul;25(7):1935-45.
BMI and breast cancer prognosis benefit: mammography screening reveals differences between normal weight and overweight women.
Crispo A, Grimaldi M, D'Aiuto M, Rinaldo M, Capasso I, Amore A, D'Aiuto G, Giudice A, Ciliberto G, Montella M. Breast. 2015 Feb;24(1):86-9.